One of the most popular agribusinesses is fish farming. Fish farming is a common type of aquaculture. Fish farming is highly exploited as it allows the production of a cheap source of protein. Today, the modern farm practice has made it possible to grow fish in the farms and control the input. Fish farming is easier to do than other kinds of farming as fish are not care-intensive, but only require food and proper water conditions as well as temperatures. The process is also less land intensive , even though Catfish is not the most popular fish in Nigeria, this fish species is by far the most cultivated in Nigeria. One thing good about catfish is that it is one of the easiest fish species to cultivate. So, people naturally flow in the direction of fish species they found to be the easiest to cultivate. If you are thinking of a business to start now, I recommend you start Catfish Farming. If you are an existing farmer and you are looking to expand your farm capacity, I’d encourage you to add fish farming to your line of business. Fish farming (especially catfish) is most compatible with poultry farming as you can use the poultry drops to produce the feed for your fish.
- Fish is Popular Fishery products are by far the most popular animal products in the market, constituting more than 60% of meat produced in the Nigerian market.
- Fish is a Source of Protein Fish is one of the highest sources of protein. It is a low-fat high-quality protein that is filled with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins such as D and B2 (riboflavin). Fish is also very rich in calcium and phosphorus and is equally a great source of minerals, such as iron, zinc, iodine, magnesium, and potassium.
- Fish Sells Quick Fish sells faster than any other animal products in the market and is relatively cheaper than meat, making it the number one choice when it comes to affordability.
- Fish Matures Quickly Fish grows very fast as practices in fish farming make it possible for farmers to increase the fastness of their fish growth by giving them certain feeds, ensuring that you harvest and sell within a short period of time.
- Fish Contains Omega-3 Fish is the biggest source of Omega-3 fatty acids which is extremely beneficial to the human heart; Omega-3 helps to keep our heart and brain very healthy. Since the human body doesn’t produce Omega-3 fatty acids, the only source through which we can get it is by what we eat, that is where fish comes to the rescue.
- Fish Farming is Profitable Fish farming is very profitable. With proper planning and good management, N3 million investment in fish farming could easily result in N4 million of pure profit within six months.
- No Environmental Hazard Fish farming does not cause any environmental hazard. Unlike poultry farming, you can set up a fish farm anywhere, including residential areas. If you have a spacious compound, you can easily set up a small fish farm within your backyard without any regulatory precautions.